I have needed a better way to store my makeup brushes for a long time. They have a handy-dandy fold-up carrying case, which is great for travel, but was kind of a pain for everyday use since I don’t have a lot of counter space to roll it out on.
Well, I finally did something about it and made a painted Mason Jar makeup brush holder. I already had everything I needed, but this project is still super inexpensive if you need to buy a few things. Plus, it’s so easy. I’m not crafty at all, so if I can do it, anyone can.
- Spray paint (I used Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Gloss in Watermelon)
- Mason jar (or any other clean glass jar you have)
- Old newspaper for covering your work surface
- Nail file or sandpaper
- Cover your work surface with with old newspaper. The weather was kind of iffy here, so I flipped an old memo board upside down on top of the newspaper so I could move the project inside if needed.
- Make sure your jar is clean and dry, then place upside down on top of your work surface.
- Spray paint that sucker! Start light and build from there so you don’t end up with drips.
- Allow your jar to dry completely, ideally overnight.
- If you want a more rustic look, use your nail file to sand any raised edges on your jar.
- Fill your jar with makeup brushes, pens, kitchen utensils – Whatever you want!
Let me know if you give this a try. I’d love to see how your jar turned out!