What’s more? Besides the cost of the product, you must consider factors like what materials it is made of. You also have to consider the product’s ease of use, durability, and quality. After all, different products are not built equally.
But don’t fret! In this blog post, you will discover the different things to consider when buying the best exterior wood primer. Check them out, plus additional buying tips, so you have an easier time finding the right product for your needs.
Top Ten Tips for Buying the Best exterior wood primer
When we’re looking at a product, we consider a number of different factors. First and foremost, it needs to work well and be able to do what it says on the tin. It also has to be of good quality so that it lasts for years instead of months or weeks. We don’t just look at the product, though. We also consider the brand behind it and how they sell their products. This is important because it can tell us a lot about what kind of customer service they provide.
- Determine how much you are willing to spend and choose a quality product within your budget.
- Always try to take advantage of any available offers, like sales discounts. However, make sure the product meets all the quality requirements before buying.
- Take your time to compare the product prices from different stores and manufacturers.
- Ask for recommendations from friends and family members that have used the product.
- Check every aspect of the product. This includes its features and what material it is made of to determine its quality.
- Choose a product that matches your tastes and preferences in color and design.
- Never buy the first product you come across despite how attractive its price is. Instead, take your time to compare with other options available.
- Get a super easy product to use regardless of your technical expertise.
- Check out the product’s reviews on as many independent websites as possible.
- Consider how long the product will last by looking out for features like its return policy and warranty.
- Interior/exterior use on new or previously painted drywall, concrete, wood, masonry, metal and glossy or difficult surfaces
- Water-based formula seals uniformly and will stick to surface without sanding
- Dries to the touch in 35 minutes, ready to topcoat in 1 hour and covers up between 87-112 sq. ft. per quart
- Has excellent stain blocking resistance and can be used with any oil or latex topcoat
- One coat hide saves time and money by improving hide and coverage of topcoats
- 100% acrylic primer that provides strong sealing properties to a variety of interior & exterior surfaces
- Easy to apply
- Powerful adhesion and stain blocking properties
- Quick drying; topcoat in as little as one hour
- Provides a mildew resistant coating
- Multi-purpose latex exterior whole-house tannin stain blocking primer for new or weathered exterior wood.
- Excellent exterior primer for masonry surfaces, like stucco or concrete block.
- Low VOC, water thinned, blister and peel resistant, and high hiding
- Can be applied in low temperatures above 35 °F (1. 7 °C) but should not be used within 8 hours of air temperatures 35 °F (1. 7 °C) or lower
- Top-coat with latex or alkyd paints
- Interior/exterior use on new or previously painted Drywall, concrete, wood, masonry, metal and glossy or difficult surfaces
- Oil-based formula seals uniformly and will Stick to surface without sanding
- Dries to the touch in just 30 minutes and covers up to 12 sq ft
- Has excellent stain blocking resistance and can be used over any oil or Latex topcoat
- Provides a smooth, White finish and; is designed to block imperfections with only one Coat
- Oil-base performance in an advanced water-base formula
- Primer for all projects
- Sticks to all surfaces - interior and exterior
- Blocks all stains, including water stains
- Low-VOC, low odor formula
- Multipurpose, 100% acrylic primer sealer that provides excellent adhesion to a variety of interior & exterior surfaces.
- Superior sealing and coverage qualities, product versatility and an excellent base coat for both latex and oil-based finish coatings.
- Excellent stain blocking primer properties.
- Quick drying; Tack free in 30 minutes, topcoat in as little as 1 hour and low VOC.
- 75 - 100 square foot coverage per quart
- PRIMER | CLEAR SEALER | BONDING PRIMER: A high-performance clear primer that is formulated to bond and seal porous and chalky interior and exterior surfaces with a tough, flexible, and breathable clear coating. KILZ Klear is an alkali-resistant clear primer and sealer. It helps protect topcoats from "hot" alkali found in masonry, cement and plaster and can be applied to fresh concrete with pH less than 13. Incredibly versatile, KILZ Klear primer can be used to seal porous surfaces and promote adhesion with a transparent flat finish that is particularly effective for same color painting.
- ADVANCED FORMULA: This incredibly versatile styrene acrylic primer can be used to seal porous surfaces and promote adhesion with a transparent flat finish that is particularly effective for same color painting. It is an alkali-resistant clear primer and sealer that helps protect topcoats from "hot" alkali found in masonry, cement and plaster and can be applied to fresh concrete with pH less than 13. Easy soap and water cleanup.
- MULTIPLE SURFACES: Suitable for sealing torn drywall facing paper, dried wallcovering adhesive, ‘hot’ joint compounds, concrete and stucco. Use on interior and exterior surfaces including drywall, plaster, wood, galvanized, aluminum, architectural plastics, masonry and brick. Prepare surfaces free of dust, grease, chalk, rust and peeling paint. Works with oil, alkyd and water-based paints.
- SUPERIOR COVERAGE: This 1-gallon can of KILZ KLEAR multi-surface latex primer covers approximately 300-400 square feet per gallon. Dries to touch in 30 minutes and can be recoated or topcoated after one hour.
- KILZ primers have been trusted by pros for nearly 50 years! Famous for providing high quality primer products that provide solutions to a wide variety of painting problems, KILZ is consistently ranked as one of the most trustworthy brands in the architectural coatings market. Lifetime Limited Warranty (see label for details).
- Ideal for use on interior/exterior surfaces including wood, plastic, plaster, metal, masonry and unglazed ceramic
- Oil-based formula is low odor, resist chips and provides long-lasting protection
- Dries to touch in 20 minutes and covers up to 12 sq. ft. per can
- Durable formula provides excellent hide and goes on smoothly
- Flat primer provides a surface ready for painting
- Exterior/Interior use previously painted drywall, cured plaster, wood, metal, concrete and more
- High-hiding oil-based primer hides dark colors, penetrates and seals exterior wood and blocks tannin bleed
- Dries to touch in 35 minutes and covers up to 100 sq ft
- Excellent stain blocker permanently blocks and seals tough stains from fire, smoke and water damage
- Fast-drying, flat white finish can be recoated in 2 hours
exterior wood primer Buying Guide
With tons of product options available in the market today, shopping for the best one can be overwhelming. Nothing to worry about, though. In this guide, we will discuss the main factors to consider to help you make a good buying decision.
The first thing to consider is what materials the exterior wood primer is constructed from. Some types of materials are of better quality and more durable than others. And if the product is made of the highest-quality materials, you can expect it to last longer.
However, you might have to pay slightly higher than usual for such a product. So, you also have to think about your budget.
You must consider buying the product from a reputable brand for peace of mind. This is because a reputable manufacturer is likely to sell quality products with long-lasting performance.
In addition, a brand with a good reputation will be willing to take responsibility if its products have manufacturing defects. This is to prevent their credibility from being destroyed.
Generally, brands that have existed for a longer time tend to have the best reputation. However, this is not always the case. Many brands have good reputations, yet they have not been in the industry for long.
Customer Reviews and Ratings
Before buying a product, you should find out what people who have used it before have to say. Reading the opinions of other customers will give you a clear idea of the pros and cons of the product. As such, it will be easier to decide whether or not the product is worth buying.
You see, if the product has many positive reviews and high ratings, it means most of the customers are satisfied with it. But if it has more negative reviews, it is an indication that the product could be having quality issues.
However, you must note that some manufacturers will post fake customer reviews about the product on their official websites. Therefore, you must look for reviews from independent websites.
Ease of Use
Another factor you must consider is the usability of the product. How user-friendly is it? Because the last thing you want is to spend hours learning how the product works.
With this in mind, you must read different customers’ feedback about the product. Also, consider getting a product that comes with straightforward and easy-to-follow instructions.
Warranty and Return Policy
Buying the best product is a long-term investment. Therefore, it is only fitting that the product is covered against manufacturing defects and poor craft.
For peace of mind, you should consider getting a product backed by at least a one-year warranty. This is because some manufacturers provide a longer or shorter warranty than others. Also, make sure you know what the warranty covers and what can void it.
You must also consider the product’s return policy. Some brands will let you return the product within 30-days after purchase at no cost. However, others don’t give you this option.
The best exterior wood primer is not cheap, as prices vary based on quality, brand reputation, durability, and other factors. But don’t fret because you can still find affordable options.
However, before making your purchase, you must work out your budget. This will help you quickly narrow down some of the best options available. But don’t be quick to settle for a cheaper product because the quality might not match that of an expensive product.