The big green egg grill is a great alternative for baking perfect pizza with a delightfully crispy crust at the bottom while you enjoy fresh air in your backyard. For you to make pizza on this grill, however, you’ll need a pizza stone.
Not all pizza stones go into the big green egg (BGE), so you’ll need to make sure you only use the best pizza stone for big green egg grill for perfect cooking results.
Below, we have listed some of the most reliable pizza stones for you to choose from. All the stones on this list are high-quality and will fit your big green egg or any other Kamado-style grill.
Comparison table on Best Pizza Stone for Big Green Egg
Top 8 Best Pizza Stone for Big Green Egg
1. Cast Elegance Theramite Durable Pizza and Baking Stone for Oven and Grill
- Professional quality, heavy-duty, light-weight, and durable. Made of Super High Impact Copolymer Polypropylene.
- Kit includes two dough trays, one lid, and one DoughMate plastic putty scraper
- Interlocking so that each covered tray is air-tight.
- Fits into most standard home refrigerators. Check measurements to be sure.
- 17.75 x 13 x 7 inches (total kit dimensions) / 16 x 11 x 2.75 inches inside each tray
This baking stone is a great BGE pizza stone choice because it is made using the durable thermite material which exhibits excellent thermal properties. This Cast Elegance’s proprietary material has superior thermal shock capabilities and is safe for use with your grill or oven.
It’s 5/8-inch thick, which is good for a pizza stone for the oven and grill. It can retain heat and help you create a perfect, pizzeria-quality crunchy bite. This thickness will also facilitate excellent moisture absorption to prevent your pizza from getting soggy.
Also worth noting is that this pizza stone is completely odor-free and food-safe, making it the top choice for making healthy pizzas for your loved ones.
The extremely versatile stone will work with both indoor and outdoor charcoal and gas grilling. Bonus items you’ll get in the package when you order this stone include a scrapper for cleaning and cutting pizza and a 30-pages recipe book.
- strong and durable thermite construction
- absorbs dough moisture for crispy crusts
- high thermal shock resistance
- suitable for both ovens and grills
- cutting/cleaning scraper included
- doesn’t emit undesired odors
2. Unicook Pizza Stone for Grill Oven
- 【Durable Construction】 Unicook pizza stone is made of all natural Cordierite, sintered in 2100°F kiln for hours, no odor under proper use. Feature of superior strength, durability, heat retention and excellent thermal shock resistance, built to outlast all others. Heat resistant up to 1,450°F (787°C).
- 【Secret of Super Crisp Crust Pizza】Full of invisible micro-pores which draw out moisture from dough, distribute heat evenly for optimal cooking, make pizza or flatbread with crispy crusts, avoiding the sogginess that often occurs with metal pans.
- 【Multi-functional Pizza Stone】15 inch round pizza stone measures 15" by 15", golden thickness 0.6"(15mm), weight up to 6.5 lbs. Unicook bread stone distributes heat evenly for optimal cooking, which is great for cooking fresh or frozen pizza on the grill or in the oven. Perfect for baking pizza, bread and cookies at home.
- 【Plastic Scraper】A multi-purpose plastic scraper is a bonus which can be used as a dough cutter or scrape off the residue stuck to the stone(use on cool stone surface only).
- 【WARNING】Never use soap or detergent to clean the stone! Never season Cordierite bread stone with oil or grease! 【WARM TIP】If your pizza stone arrives damaged or you need any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.
The Unicook pizza stone is another the best pizza stone for big green egg you can get on the market today. It features a durable construction of natural cordierite treated in the kiln under extremely high temperature for hours to give it excellent strength, durability, and great thermal capabilities.
The round stone surface is 15 inches in diameter and will perfectly fit in large BGE grill models. The surface is wide enough to accommodate real Neapolitan pizza big green egg cooking or any other type of pizza.
It features a unique porous structure and is populated with invisible micro-pores that effectively absorb all the moisture from dough as the pizza is being baked. This keeps away soggy pizzas and gives your crispy crusts.
As long as you preheat this stone in your grill before you place any pizza on it, it can withstand high temperatures in your grill without cracking or shattering. Pre-heating the stone will ensure even heat distribution for even cooking results.
As a bonus, the manufacturer includes a cleaning scrapper in the box which you can use for cleaning any residue foods on the stone or to cut your cooked pizza into perfect slices.
- durable cordierite construction
- 15-inch diameter round pizza stone
- excellent thermal shock resistance
- micro-porous surface for moisture absorption
- features a golden thickness of 0.6 inches
- bonus cleaning scraper included
3. ROCKSHEAT Pizza Stone 12in x 15in Rectangular Baking & Grilling Stone
- PIZZERIA QUALITY PIZZAS AT HOME ANY TIME. You can easily get pizzeria quality pizza in the comfort of your home. In order for you to have an optimal experience of cooking, it distributes heat evenly, provides you a crispy color crust that you always wanted. This stone is not only for making pizzas but can also be used to bake cookies, bread, biscuits and much more. You can even heat ready-made pizzas for better results.
- 1400℉ RESISTANCE AND ROBUST THERMAL STABILITY. It is resilient for many years and will not disrupt under 1400℉ when used normally. It can tolerate an implausible amount of heat.
- INNOVATIVE DOUBLE-FACED BUILT-IN HANDLES DESIGN. It has double-faced with handles that are built-in and is designed for convenience. It helps to save space. It is designed in such a practical way which makes transferring easier. One ROCKSHEAT built-in handled stone acts as two normal handled ones.
- FOOD GRADE STONEWARE. The stone is burnt in 2200℉ kiln, it does not encompass any harmful substance or odor.
- FERFECT THICKNESS. The thickness of this stone is (0.63") and it does not have needless weight. You don’t have to preheat it for a long time as compared to the ones which are thicker
You can also make crispier pizza with your big green egg using this Rocksheat pizza stone. Quality construction and a wallet-friendly pricetag win this model a spot on our reviews of the best pizza stone for grill.
It is made from food-safe cordierite that can withstand high grill temperatures and serve you for long with good care. This material also distributes heat evenly to create pizzas with crispy color crust, just as you want.
The rectangular pizza stone has a perfect thickens of 0.63 inches, not too thin and not too thick, and will not keep you waiting for it to heat up for long. Since it is only 7.1lbs, it doesn’t come with unnecessary overweight.
You’ll like that this stone also comes with 4 built-in handles (2 on the right side and 2 on the left) which not only improve the stone aesthetics but also make it easy for you to transfer your pizza.
- quality cordierite construction
- rectangular 12 x 15″ stone
- built-in convenient handles
- food-grade, odor-free stone
- perfect thickness of 0.63 inches
4. BBQ Future Heat Deflector, Pizza Stone for 18″ Large Big Green Egg Grill
- Fits 18" Large Big Green Egg Grill, 18" Kamado Grill, Chargriller 18" Akorn Kamado
- Made with ceramic, This product passed SGS testing to meet or exceed FDA standards. Easy to use and clean. Prevents charring by creating a convection style cooking experience
- Can use it "upside-down" to increase the distance between the heat shield and lower cooking racks
- Works to help circulate heat. Perfect for baking, cook pizzas, bread, even cookies, low and slow smoking briskets, roasts, whole chickens, or ribs
- Pizza Stone is fragile and may break during transportation. We will offer a 90 days refunds or reship service for free.Please kindly check the size of your grill before purchase.
If you’re looking for the best pizza stone for big green egg size L (Large), this is the model for you. With an enormous 18-inch design, this stone will easily fit large 18-inch big green egg and other similar-sized Kamado-style grills.
Designed with crispy crust pizza in mind, this thick big green egg deep dish pizza stone will circulate heat perfectly well across its surface for evenly cooked pizzas.
Quality ceramic material is used to make this stone. And its porous surface allows for maximum absorption of moisture from the dough and increases your chances of creating a crispy crust pizza.
This stone doubles as a large 18-inch heavy-duty ceramic heat deflector for your BGE grill.
Another great thing about this pizza stone is that you can use it upside down to help increase the distance between the heat shield and lower grill racks as per your cooking needs.
Included in the package is a free bench scraper to help you loosen and easily remove any stuck-in crust, food, or cheese from the stone surface and enhance easy cleaning.
- heavy-duty ceramic construction
- doubles as a large BGE heat deflector
- fits large 18-inch big green egg grills
- can be used upside down
- easy to use and clean
5. BBQgaskets Pizza Baking Stone for Large Big Green Egg BGE
- super high temp and weight
- Hi quality earthenware
- outdoor cooking bbq pizza baking stone
- Made By Island Outdoor, LLC
- correct size for Kamdo or Big green Egg large
This is the best all-purpose stone for preparing crisp pizza and is designed to work with the large big green egg grill models. It is reasonably priced and features a heavy-duty design that makes it feel like a good value stone.
It handles high grill temperatures pretty well and works like a charm on your BGE. It is extra-thick (7/19 inches thick) for excellent heat retention needed to give your pizzas a crispy crust bottom while keeping the inside soft and chewy!
As a genuine BGE grill accessory, this pizza stone for smoker grill is made using quality earthenware material (not ceramic) to increase its durability and thermal capabilities over the less durable ceramic stones.
The round baking stone has a 14-inch diameter and will fit all the large BGE grills and other Kamado-style grills. The stone is easy to clean and maintain; it will season itself as you continue using it to form a non-stick cooking surface for easy cooking and cleaning experience.
- made of high-quality earthenware
- super-high temperatures compatibility
- extra-thick 9/16-inch design
- fits large big green egg grills
- easy to clean and maintain
6. Honey-Can-Do Old Stone Oven Rectangular Pizza Stone
- Baking stone creates restaurant-quality pizzas and breads
- Bakes up multi-layered crunchy-chewy crusts
- Absorbs heat and transfers it evenly for a perfect bake
- Durable, non-cracking; crafted from a blend of lead-free clays
- Specially engineered Heat Core eliminates soggy centers
Get this FibraMent best pizza stone for oven as the perfect Christmas gift for your special ones and they’ll be grateful forever. The price is on point for this stone and it comes well packaged—making it highly giftable.
In terms of performance, this baking stone will make you the perfect grilled pizza on big green egg with stone with restaurant quality. It is made of cordierite clay and heats up quickly and evenly to give your pizzas a golden-brown crust.
The Cordierite construction gives this stone excellent strength and a longer lifespan than ceramic stones. The material can also withstand high temperatures in your grill without breaking or cracking, taking the pizza stone durability even higher.
At the bottom side of this pizza stone sits raised edges which makes it easier to pick up and maneuver, unlike other stones that sit flat on your grill grates or countertop.
When not baking pizza, you can use this stone for pastries, bread, or cooking vegetables. Again, this stone will make a nice and practical gift to your loved ones who love making pizza at home. It will take their pizza game to the next level!
- strong and durable cordierite construction
- rectangular stone: 14.5” L x 16.5” W
- bakes restaurant-quality pizzas
- raised bottom edges for easy use
- foodsafe; made from lead-free clays
7. BBQgaskets.com Pizza Baking Stone for fits Any XL Big Green Egg (BGE)
- super high temp earthenware
- specific size allows for proper convection
- quick ship. NOT big green egg brand
- fits all outdoor pizza ovens
- 15" stone is correct size for XL Big Green Egg
If you’re looking for the best pizza stone for big green egg (XL size grill) to replace your old or broken stone, consider this pizza baking stone as a viable option. The stone is designed to perfectly fit your XL BGE or Kamado BBQ.
The exact dimensions of this pizza stone are 11.3 by 15 inches, which translates to a spacious cooking surface for cooking large enough pizza for your entire family. The stone is made from 100% natural cordierite and won’t let out any chemical odors when in use, making it a non-toxic pizza stone and a healthy way to cook pizza for your loved ones.
Cordierite also gives this stone high durability and ensures it doesn’t crack or break easily with repeated use. It is taken through 400 tons of pressure to achieve excellent shock resistance for maximum durability.
Heat distribution is good in this stone and ensures even baking of your pizza, with uniformly crisped crust. Its surface packs multiple invisible micro-spores that get rid of excess moisture from your dough during baking for a soggy-free crispy crust.
With a 0.5-inch thick design, this stone boasts superior heat retention and makes it suitable for making other types of foods such as bread, scones, biscuits, and more.
- solid and durable cordierite stone construction
- excellent shock resistance
- fits XL BGE grill and other similar sized grills
- super-high temperature stone
- food-safe, odor-free stone for healthy baking
8. Pizzacraft 15″ Square ThermaBond Baking/Pizza Stone
- Make and bake your favorite pizza in your oven or on your grill
- Made of 100% all-natural FDA-safe Thermabond material, thermal shock resistant
- Homemade breads, pastries, even frozen pizzas cook evenly on the stone surface
- Stone requires no seasoning or conditioning, cleans up with water
- Measures 15" X 15" X .59"
The last best baking stone on our list is the Pizzacraft 15-inch ThermaBond pizza stone. Designed in a perfect 15-inch by 15-inch square shape, this pocket-friendly priced stone stands from the other models with quality steel construction.
Steel makes the perfect material for pizza stones because it has superior heat conductivity and holds heat better than ceramic and cordierite materials. This ensures you get perfectly cooked pizza with super-crispy crust while speeding up the cooking time.
It also distributes heat evenly and eliminates hot spots for uniformly browned and perfectly cooked bottom crust.
Not just good heating performance, steel is also an extremely durable material. It is virtually indestructible and can withstand extremely high temperatures in your big green egg grill without cracking or breaking like the stones.
You can trust this black steel baking plate to handle fresh homemade pizza or frozen pizza pretty well. Other than making pizza, you can use this pizza stone to bake pastries, bread, and assorted baked treats.
Cleanup is super-easy and quick because the steel surface is pre-seasoned for non-sticky and rust-free performance. You just need to wipe its surface with a damp cloth to make it ready for use again.
- solid and durable steel construction
- exceptional thermal shock resistance
- 15″ x 15″ square shaped stone
- excellent heat distribution and retention
- ideal for baking fresh or frozen pizza
- comes pre-seasoned with vegetable oil
What To Look For When Buying a Pizza Stone
Numerous pizza stones are available at the market but not all of them are made the same way. To ensure you pick a model that meets your unique needs/expectations, keep the following crucial factors in mind.
One of the things to look for in a pizza stone is the materials used to make it and its properties.
The most common materials for pizza stone include cordierite and ceramic. The former tends to exhibit better thermal properties and is more durable than ceramic.
Some brands like Cast Elegance have modified cordierite—the thermite—which displays even better impact resistance, thermal properties, and durability.
For budget-minded users or those just getting started with pizza making at home, the best ceramic pizza stone will make a perfect choice.
The best BBQ pizza stone for use with big green egg should also fit the grill perfectly while leaving a significant amount of space around the outside edge to facilitate plenty of airflows.
Get a stone that’s sized in such a way that it’s not in direct contact with the heat coming from the fire flames by the ceramic deflector or plate setter.
A 12-inch model will be the perfect medium big green egg pizza stone. A slightly larger 14-inch model will be suitable for the Large or XL grill model.
How thick a pizza stone is also a key factor that determines how durable your new stone is and whether it will last for long. The thicker stones, whether ceramic or cordierite, tend to last longer.
What’s more, a thick pizza stone will always hold up to extremely high temperatures better than thin pizza stones without shattering or breaking.
Though thick stones may take longer to heat up, they compensate for this by retaining their heat better, enabling you to make a run of pizzas in a short period of time.
As you might already know, the big green egg grill can reach extremely high temperatures, between 700 to 900 degrees F when using it to grill pizza.
For this reason, you’ll need to choose a stone capable of withstanding high temperatures in the big green egg without cracking or breaking. Be sure to confirm the maximum temperature reading the stone you buy can withstand to see if it will work with your BGE grill.
As we have just mentioned above, thicker pizza stones tend to withstand extremely high temperatures better and stay durable for long.
Care and Maintenance Of Pizza Stone
Taking good care of your new stone is an easy task that takes less time but will ensure your baking stone remains in tip-top condition and serves you for an extended period of time.
Below, we have outlined some helpful tips on how to show your pizza baking stone good care.
Tip #1. Only clean your pizza stone when it has cooled down. The pizza stones are made to work by retaining heat. Cleaning them before they get cooled down, therefore, can not only be hazardous for you but can also prevent the possibility of a thermal shock when the stone gets in contact with cold water.
Tip #2. Don’t worry about the darkening of your stone. It’s natural for stone pizzas to get dark as you continue using them, so you shouldn’t beat yourself up trying to make your stone get rid of the dark areas for a brand new look.
Tip #3. Getting rid of baked-on foods and debris. Cleaning a pizza stone generally involves getting any burnt-on foods on your stone surface. We advise you to stick to a stiff spatula, a plastic bench scraper, or even a bristle brush. Avoid meta scarpers as they may end up scratching your stone and leaving ugly marks behind.
Tip #4. Don’t use any detergents or cleaning agents on your stone. Most of the top-rated pizza stones, including the cordierite, unglazed ceramic, and even cast iron are highly porous and can easily absorb the flavor of these cleaning agents and later impart them on your pizza, affecting its flavor.
Tip #5. For stubborn stains, you may consider using a baking powder paste or vinegar to clean your stone. These will not leave behind any flavors into your stone and are a great alternative to dish soaps and detergents.
Tip #6. Always let your stone air dry completely before you can use it again. Attentively, dry the stone in the oven or grill. But be careful with this apt because heat can turn the moisture in the stone into steam which can easily scald you.
Tip #7. Sore your stone in a dry and clean area to ensure it is ready for use the next time you want to make a pizza. Some folks prefer keeping their stones inside the grill to ensure it stays dry and easy to access.
So, these are some of the top pizza stones you can order today to start making pizza on green egg grill. These top-rated models easily fit the big green egg grill and are sure to make you a perfect pizza with a crispy crust and soft, chewy inside.
The stones we have featured on this list are made of quality materials, vary in size and shape, and have different price points, so finding the best pizza stone for big green egg that matches your specific needs should be easy for you.